Remember when your Mom always found the best cleaning solutions at home? Turns out some homemade remedies actually work.
Who would have thought that coke can clean headlights? It sounded too good to be true but there is actually solid science behind it.
This article will explain if coke is a great headlight cleaning solution and how to clean headlights with coca cola.
Let’s get started!
Can Coca Cola Clean Headlights?
The simple answer is: YES, coca cola can be used for dirty and foggy car headlights.
Coke and other sodas contain a certain level of phosphoric acid. This acid is the active ingredient that helps get rid of hard water deposits and some residues left on the surface of your headlight.
Phosphoric acid is a fast-acting acid-based agent that is specifically designed to remove grout, hard water residues, and even oxidation. What makes it a better option is the fact that it isn’t a harsh solution that can cause damage to delicate surfaces like plastics, glass, and crystals.
In fact, phosphoric acid can be even used on natural stones and tiles. Therefore, it isn’t at all surprising why some car owners chose to use coca cola to clean their headlights.
Clean headlights with coca cola might not be the go-to choice by many. But coke has around 50 to 70 mg of phosphoric acid in every 100 ml.
Is It Safe To Use Coke Or Coca Cola On Headlights?
It is safe to use coke as a cleaning agent for your headlights. However, it has its own limitations. It isn’t really the best choice for rust, grime, and stains.
The main reason is the sugar content of coca cola which is difficult to wash off of your car headlight’s surface. Another reason is that coca cola is not designed for cleaning. It is what it is – a type of drink.
So, even if coke has a certain amount of phosphoric acid, which is a great cleaning agent, this does not necessarily mean that coke is the best option.
The truth is: It could be a cleaning alternative though if you are in a rush and need a quick fix-up for your foggy headlights.
How To Clean Headlights With Coca Cola: The Rights Steps To Follow
Alright, after reading the important information about cleaning car headlights with coke, and you still want to know how to clean headlights with coca cola, then the steps below are for you to follow:
- Use a microfiber towel. As a preparatory step, get rid of dust and unwanted dirt from your headlights. Basically, you want to clean the headlights without the need for cleaning solutions first, This will help preserve the condition of your headlight.
- Apply the coca cola. Open a bottle of coca cola. It is better to use one with zero sugar. You can put the coke inside a spray bottle or use a sponge. If you want to use the spray bottle and your car headlight isn’t that foggy, then it is better to dilute the coca cola with water.
- Wipe gently. After applying the coca cola onto the headlight surface, wipe it carefully using a sponge. Make sure you have covered the entire surface.
- Leave it for 8 to 10 minutes. You can then let it settle for a while and let it work on its own. After 8 to 10 minutes, get a dry microfiber cloth and then you wipe the headlights.
- Use soap and warm water. If you see that there is some coca cola stain left on the car headlights, don’t panic. Just get a soap and warm water mixture. Dip a microfiber cloth or towel in it, and wipe off the coke stains. Repeat this step until the headlights are squeaky clean.
In summary, coca cola can be an alternative if you are looking for a quick way on how to clean headlights. As we mentioned above, it may not be the best solution but it is still effective although with limitations.
So, how to clean headlights with coca cola without damaging your car headlights? Just follow our easy steps above.
Have you tried this method before? Let us know in the comment section below!