If you buy an item via links on this page, we may earn a commission. Our editorial content is not influenced by commissions. Read the full disclosure.
Is your trunk light getting dimmer than usual? Maybe it’s about time that you replace it with a new one. Here are the steps on how to change trunk light bulb.
The trunk is the place where you’ll be storing all your car’s essentials. Tools, equipment, spare parts, and other things can be found there. That said, a trunk bulb is really important because it helps you look for the things that you need, especially at night.
So, what happens when it starts to give way? For that, you’ll need to learn how to change trunk light bulb.
Bad Trunk Light – What are the Signs?
Before anything else, how can you tell whether you need to have a trunk light bulb replacement? There are a few signs that you need to look out for. Once you see these signs, you really need to go to the store and buy a truck replacement bulb.
Check out for these signs:
Light is becoming dimmer
If your light is dimmer than usual, that’s a pretty obvious sign that it’s weakening. For this situation, you need to change the bulb before it burns out.
Light is shining too bright
You also won’t like it if the light is shining way too bright— much brighter than usual. This is most likely due to the volatile flow of electricity. This is a surefire sign that the bulb will burn out. So, you can replace it before it does.
Light Flickers Very Often
While one of the main reasons for this to happen is a loose bulb, this could be another sign of wearing out. To know for sure, tighten the bulb first then observe it again. If it continues to flicker, then it might be time to change your bulb.
How to Change Trunk Light Bulb
What’s next after identifying the signs? Well, the next step is to simply change the bulb. If you don’t know how to change trunk light bulb, then you just need to follow the steps we’ll layout below.
Before that, you need to learn how to remove trunk light bulb first.
- Use a socket wrench to disconnect the battery.
- Open the trunk and look for the trunk light.
- Take out your flathead screwdriver and push out the trunk light bulb housing slowly.
- Wear some rubber gloves and slowly pull the bulb out by turning it until it’s loose.
Now that you have taken out the old bulb, let’s move on to the steps on how to replace mk7 trunk bulb with a new one. The good news is that the steps are just the reverse of removing the trunk bulb. Thus, all you have to do is a reverse engineer.
In any case, here are the steps to do that:
- Take out your new bulb and place it back in like how you took out the old one.
- Press the housing back into its place.
- Reconnect your battery and turn it on.
- Check the trunk and see if the trunk light is working.
Do take note that there are two kinds of light bulbs that you may encounter:
- The first type is the one that’s built like an ordinary household bulb. This one is the one that you push in and twists to install it.
- The second type is the cylinder-shaped type. You connect this to the socket via clips or spring loads. Therefore, when you’re in the store looking for a replacement trunk light bulb, do take this into consideration since the type will determine how you’ll install the replacement bulb.
How about getting LED puck lights? These could work great on your car’s glovebox too! Check them out right NOW!
Those are the very simple steps on how to change trunk light bulb. As you can see, it only takes a total of 8 steps to change your trunk’s light bulb. It’s really so simple that anyone can do it. All you have to do is determine whether you need to change the bulb or not then follow the steps that we’ve laid out above.
Now, you also have the choice of asking a professional to do this job for you if you’re rather uncomfortable with handling your trunk’s light. However, you really don’t need to ask a professional to handle this task since it is a pretty simple DIY job you can do yourself. Save yourself a bundle by learning how to get this job done on your own.
Hope you learn something from this guide!