Looking for the best MPPT charge controller but with a tight budget? Why not check out our budget-friendly recommendations below!
Having an MPPT charge controller is one of the best investments that one can have. However, if you are new to having an off-grid lifestyle, then an MPPT charge controller is a must-have.
This controller helps you produce better energy output from your solar panel going to your battery. Instead of getting the normal amount of energy, you get the maximum energy needed from your solar panels.
Aside from that, it also keeps your battery from overcharging on days when the sun is up. Thus, you must get the best MPPT charge controller for your solar panel and batteries.
With this in mind, we are going to help you find which charge controller is the best.
Who knows, you might just be able to get the best mppt charge controller 2021
|Renogy Rover 40Amp|
|EPEVER MPPT Solar Charge Controller|
|EPEVER Grounded Solar MPPT Charge Controller|
|Victron Energy MPPT SolarCharge|
|Onesolar DC Solar Charge Controller|
How To Choose The Best Mppt Charge Controller
The Number Of Cells Matters
When buying an mppt charge controller, you need to consider the number of cells that your solar panel has. If you have 36 panels and above, opt to get an MPPT charge controller. That way, you can get the maximum energy flow needed for your lifestyle.
The voltage capacity needs to be considered as well. Some mppt controllers may not work voltages that don’t fit their capacity. Before buying a budget controller, make sure that you double-check your solar panel’s voltage capacity as well as your battery’s capacity.
The mppt charge controller is expensive. The higher the voltage, the more expensive the mppt is. It is very important that you set a budget. Apart from that, you can scout among the best budget mppt charge controllers in the market. That way, you can have several options that can cater to your budget.
MPPT charge controller works well when placed in cold places. Make sure that you do have the right place set up if you are planning to get an MPPT. MPPT charge controllers don’t really work in warm and temperate places.
Another thing to consider is the easy installation process. Most MPPT charge controllers don’t really take long to install. However, installing them can be really complicated and you might need an expert to do it for you. You must do your research on the MPPT charge controller before buying them. That way, you can install it by yourself.
Safety is also another important factor to consider. Regardless if you have the best mppt charge controller for lithium batteries, if it’s not safe to use then it is not worth it. When buying an mppt charge controller make sure if they are safe to use for your solar panels and lithium battery. That way, you can avoid causing fire due to technical issues such as defective mppt charge controllers.
BEST MPPT Charge Controller
1. Renogy Rover 40Amp
At a glance, the Renogy Rover comes in an all-black color. You can see the brand logo on top of an LED screen. Below the LED screen, you can see some of the cursors to help you set up the Rover to your solar panel and your batteries.
You can see the Rover’s branding just below the LED screen and controls. Below the model name, you can see some of the screws that you will be connecting your device to.
- It comes in different AMP capacities. It starts from 10AMP up to 40AMP.
- It is durable; this budget controller is made from die-cast aluminum metal.
- Automatically detects the voltage capacity of your solar panel and batteries.
- Highly compatible with many battery brands in the market
- It ensures that your batteries are charged fully in less than the time expected.
- The MPPT charge controllers work on flooded batteries better. You need to set it up to make it usable on your battery.
- The software needs to be updated because some people find it hard to use.
2. EPEVER MPPT Solar Charge Controller
The EPEVER MPPT Solar Charge Controller comes in two pieces. You can see the controller where you can connect all the important wires to and fro your solar panel and batteries. The smaller piece is the LED screen controller. Upon purchase, you will be receiving the wires for room temperature and a USB cable for PC Software Communication.
The main device comes with an easy install instruction to make it easier for people to install it on their own.
- It comes with a tracking system to make it easier for you to track your battery capacity.
- It comes with a maximum 150V input capacity.
- Highly compatible with many batteries.
- Customized control parameter.
- The device is highly durable.
- Small voltage spikes can cause an overvoltage shutdown. You need to wait for the device to reboot and change the parameters.
3. EPEVER Grounded Solar MPPT Charge Controller
Just like the other EPEVER MPPT Charge Controller comes in 2 pieces. The main board comes with an LED screen to make it easier for you to trace your usage. Aside from that, it contains the other connectors to and from your solar panels and batteries. Since this device is grounded, you can use the MT50 to help you set your settings even if you are away from the mppt solar charges.
- Despite the device being grounded, you can still access its settings with the use of its smaller device.
- Highly compatible with many batteries.
- Multiple load capacity
- In-depth installation manual which makes it a lot easier for people to install and set.
- It doesn’t have a warranty.
4. Victron Energy MPPT SolarCharge
Unlike others, the MPPT SolarCharge is the most colorful mppt charge controller in the market. Many MPPT charge controllers are often in black, white and silver. However, Victron Energy comes in Blue with an orange design. This mppt charge controller has a straightforward design. You can see the battery and PV connectors on the front part of the device. The device also has a battery LED indicator for absorb, float, and bulk.
- Works well with batteries that are drained
- You can monitor your mppt charge controller with a ham radio or with your smartphone device.
- Highly durable.
- Good customer service
- The wiring should not be too close to avoid short circuits
- The instructions are a bit complicated and need to be simplified.
5. Onesolar DC Solar Charge Controller
This MPPT DC Solar Charge Controller comes in a yellow and black ensemble. You can see the brand logo on the bottom of the device and an LED screen on the upper right. The LED screen doubles as a controller. You can set up the device here and see the status of the power coming in and out from the device. It comes with 4 charging options mainly flood, sealed, gel, and user-defined.
- The device looks very sturdy. The housing is made from aluminum alloy
- It comes with a 98% maximum conversion rate
- It works well with lithium batteries
- The LED panel has a multiple language selection as well as bar graphics for daily usage.
- Easy to install
- The charger takes a lot of time to charge the batteries
- It doesn’t work with AMG,GEL, and User-Defined.
With all things considered, the EPEVER Ground Solar Charge Controller is probably something you can use for both home and travel. It may not be the budget controller that you are expecting but if you consider its specifications, it’s worth the price. Get yours now and experience the best off-grid lifestyle with the best mppt charge controller in the market.