Have decided to have your own fish tank? Learn the best LED aquarium lighting for plants in your tank and why you must have one!
What makes your fish tank look even unique and pleasant to the eyes are the plants that you put inside. But water plants need special tender, love, and care for them to thrive, especially in a controlled environment.
One important and must-have consideration to make is the type of light to put in your tank. If you want to know the best LED aquarium lighting for plants, then you have to understand why LED lights are good for plants in the first place.
Here are the things you need to know:
- Are LED Lights Necessary For Aquarium Plants?
- Our Top Pick for the Best LED Aquarium Lighting for Plants
- Which LED Lighting Color Should You Use?
- 4 Best LED Aquarium Lighting For Plants Reviews
Are LED Lights Necessary For Aquarium Plants?
To answer it straight to the point – YES!
Certain levels of lights are good for plants, especially for those used in aquariums. It is no secret that plants grow better if they receive the much-needed sunlight. However, with aquarium plants which are often placed indoors, the amount of light they receive are rather lacking. Thus, supplementing it with LED lighting is deemed as a smart solution.
LED lights provide low heat and broad light color spectrum to optimize and boost growth of the plants. In addition, LED lights are efficient and cost-effective as they run on low energy while still providing enough heat to the plants.
Generally speaking, using an LED lights for aquarium is a win-win for you and your plants.
|Hygger Full Spectrum Fish Tank Light with Timer|
|TaoTronics Light Therapy Lamp|
|Nicrew Classic LED Light for Fish Tank|
|Philips SmartSleep Therapy Lamp|
Our Top Pick for the Best LED Aquarium Lighting for Plants
Nicrew Classic LED Light for Fish Tank offers the best-value to your money although the Hygger LEDs are pretty close.
- Aluminum material
- High efficiency
- Adjustable docking mount
- Produces 1150 lumens
- Has fine-tuned colors lighting
- Full spectrum color combinations
- Compatible with glass and acrylic covered aquariums
Which LED Lighting Color Should You Use?
If you are past the hesitation on whether to use LED or not, the next step is to choose the right LED color for your fish tank.
Many of you ask, what is the best lighting for aquarium plants?
My answer would be the RGB LEDs. RGB stands for red, green, and blue lights. So, what do these colors represent and how do they help the plants in your aquarium?
The red light is an excellent choice if you want to stimulate high intensity light like that of sunlight. This type of light helps the plants grow and develop healthily. They can elongate and stretch their appearance, making the plants look tall and beautiful.
The green light also helps aid in growth stimulation as it increases the plants’ ability to capture light. Some say it is the least effective light color when used alone, which I somehow agree. That is why it is best to use green light with other colors such as red and blue.
Think of the green light as an amplifier as it is very useful in terms of photosynthesis. If you put a green LED light for aquarium, your plants will be able to absorb more lights (red and blue) which they need to grow healthily.
The blue light, on the other hand, is as important as the red light. Its main function is to regulate the plant’s growth. Blue light is actually low-intensity light theta suppresses growth extension in plants.
So why do we use them?
If the plants receive too much red light, they will become brittle and may burn. The addition of blue LED lights for plants keeps the spectrum balance. Blue light is also important in photosynthesis.
4 Best LED Aquarium Lighting For Plants Reviews
1. Hygger Full Spectrum Fish Tank Light with Timer
This is a multi-color LED light for a freshwater tank. With its custom colors, your plants can receive the much-needed light for them to grow and thrive.
It also has a timer that allows you to automatically turn on and off the light. You can choose from 3 timer settings: 6 hours, 10 hours, or 12 hours. And if you want to adjust the lights depending on the time of the day, this aquarium LED lighting is a good fit as it gives you morning light (soft orange), noon light (full bright light) and evening moon light (blue light).
- This is dimmable from 10% to 100% color brightness.
- Has 3 timer settings
- With 24-hour lighting cycle
- Multi-color LED light: blue green, red, orange, purple, and cyan
- Easy to use
- Produces 817 lumens
- Cannot be used inside the tank, only overhead or on the sides
- Reset is needed when there is a power outage
2. Hygger Full Spectrum White, Blue, and Red LED Lights
Another amazing aquarium LED lights from Hygger store is this full-spectrum light. This one has an aluminum alloy shell and comes with extendable brackets.
It also produces multi-color, such as red, blue, and white lighting. People also commend its brightness and timing and vouch for the product’s heat dissipation.
- This one has adjustable brackets for rims and rimless tanks.
- Has 3 color modes which are very easy to shift using the controller
- Lights are dimmable from 10% to 100%
- Can last up to 20,000 hours of lighting
- Also has 3 timer settings: 6 hours, 10 hours, and 12 hours
- Produces 633 lumens
- Can only be used outside (or overhead) the tank
- The timer is not an on-and-off thing.
3. Nicrew Classic LED Light for Fish Tank
It is a classic LED light for freshwater plants that provide full spectrum lighting. The material is made from aluminum, so it is lightweight yet durable.
But what buyers love about it is its low-energy consumption yet high efficiency. It also has adjustable docking, so you can mount it easily above aquariums.
This is the best LED aquarium lighting for beginners.
- Combines white, blue, green, and red LED lights
- Recommended for acrylic or glass covered fish tanks
- Its aluminum alloy shell makes it look stylish yet durable
- Produces fine-tuned colors which are beneficial for aquatic plants
- Produces 1150 lumens of light
- Has blinking light issues (specifically on white light) though it may be a glitch, so check and make sure you have warranty included in your purchase.
4. SZMinNiLED Aquarium LED Light with Air Bubble
What sets this aquarium light from others is its air bubble hole. This LED light has 550 RGB LEDs with 4 color modes. Moreover, this one is submersible, so it can definitely light up your tank from the inside.
- Has RGB LEDs with 16 color combinations
- Offers 4 modes and atmosphere for a colorful aquarium
- Generates a lot of bubbles that provides oxygen to your plants
- Uses low voltage and does not emit any harmful radiation
- Comes with 1-year warranty
- The remote only works at a certain distance and when the aquarium is in line of sight.
Choosing the best LED aquarium lighting for plants for your fish tank is necessary to give your aquatic plants the right amount of TLC. Hope this review has helped you pick the best fit for your needs.